Types of Commercial Roll-Up DoorsOctober 14, 2022
There’s a common perception that all commercial roll-up doors are the same — they all roll up and down and serve as an access way to certain premises. However, there are several types of industrial roll-up doors, each serving different purposes. In this article, we discuss five types of industrial roll-up doors, their characteristics, benefits and applications.
1. Overhead Service Doors
Roll-up overhead doors offer security to your property against unwanted entry and protect it from harsh weather conditions. They protect both the interior and exterior parts of your commercial or industrial buildings. Both standard and insulated heavy-duty service doors are available in durable materials such as galvanized and stainless steel. You can operate roll-up service doors by hand-chain, crank, push-up or motor.
You can customize overhead service doors according to your preference guides, weatherstripping, operations, spring, bottom bars finish and more. Overhead services doors are helpful for various industrial and commercial outlets, including:
- Parking garages
- Sally ports
- Fire stations
Service doors offer a myriad of advantages. Some of these benefits are:
- Protection and security: Service doors protect your space from intruders. The doors are solid and tough to breach. Additionally, they protect your property from severe weather conditions.
- Low maintenance: Service doors are simple to maintain. Parts usually take longer to break and are easily replaceable. The doors can withstand harsh climates, including snow, rain, hail and wind.
- Insulation: The thick materials used for the doors help keep out loud noise and outdoor air. As a result, you can keep your property insulated from excess sound and create a comfortable temperature indoors.
2. Roll-Up Sheet Doors
Roll-up sheet doors are made of horizontal steel sheets without a track system, unlike standard garage doors. Roll-up sheet doors gather around the drum when opened. Roll-up sheet doors are similar to rolling doors in some respect, particularly in their operation and compact design. However, rolling doors have interlocking slats, while roll-up sheet doors feature corrugated steel.
Rolling steel doors are ideal for lighter-duty applications, such as:
- Mini warehouses
- Ticket booths
- Self-storage facilities
- Manufacturing facilities
- Retail spaces
- Loading docks
What are the benefits of roll-up sheet doors? Industrial rolling steel doors have several advantages. These include:
- Extra security: High-quality roll-up sheet doors provide added security to your commercial property. They create layers of protection, providing a durable solution for your premises. Steel is formidable, shielding your property from theft and damage.
- Low maintenance: Steel roll-up doors are springless, saving you time, effort and money on broken parts. Moreover, steels are resistant to corrosion and can withstand years of heavy usage, harsh weather conditions and wear and tear.
- Insulation: Roll-up sheet doors keep the inside of your warehouse comfortable, keeping out cold air in the winter and warm air in the summer. This attribute can help mitigate energy costs for your facility and provide a comfortable working environment for employees.
- Noise blocking: The bottom seals and insulators cancel external noise. This allows you to use the premises peacefully and privately without disturbance.
- Saving space: Many people scarcely use ceilings other than to provide lighting, meaning you likely have plenty of free space on your ceiling. The doors coil into a tubelike shape and roll into the ceiling and out of your way.
- Easy customization: Roll-up sheet doors are available in different sizes and colors. You have the option to choose a model which meets your specifications.
3. Fire-Rated Doors
These doors are constructed with materials that prevent or slow the rate at which fire or smoke spreads to a secondary space. These doors are one of the safest ways to protect commercial and industrial workplaces. Fire-rated roll-up doors are made of galvanized, coated or stainless steel that halts the spread of fire and smoke. The fire ratings of these doors range between three-quarters of an hour to three hours.
Fire-rated roll-up doors are suitable for the following:
- Parking garages
- Distribution centers
Aside from helping prevent fire damage, other benefits of fire-rated doors include:
- Saves lives: Fire spreads through conduction, convection and radiation. As the door obstructs the spread, it reduces the rate at which the flame and smoke escape. Consequently, there’s less human exposure to the fire.
- Protects property: Fire-rated doors slow down the spread rate. The door restricts the flame to the area without affecting other items.
- Reduces cost: Controlled fire translates to controlled damage. This reduces the cost of repair and replacement.
4. Counter Doors/Shutters
Counter shutters, also called rolling counter doors, are interlocking slats made from anodized aluminum, stainless steel or steel that secure the openings above the counters. They create a barrier, covering both side walls and the ceiling.
Counter shutters are designed for both interior and exterior use. Counter doors provide maximum protection, especially for retailers. Counter doors are available in several operational options, including standard motor, hand crank or push-up designs. In other words, you may choose either the automatic or manual option.
These doors are ideal for commercial spaces, including:
- Sport stadiums
- Concession stands
- Ticket booths
- Tool storages
Why should you choose counter doors or shutters? The answer is simple. Some key advantages are:
- Aesthetically pleasing: Counter doors are available in different shapes, gauges, materials, sizes and designs. This allows you to customize them. Regardless of the specifications you select, counter doors deliver a seamless look to your property.
- Easy to install: The units are simple to install without field assembly. This makes it a convenient alternative for many building owners and contractors.
- Durable and reliable: Coiling counter shutters are usually made of aluminum or steel. These materials are resilient and resistant to damage, so a counter shutter is likely to serve you for years.
- Discreet: Counter shutters are unimposing. Many people are unlikely to notice them unless when closed. Also, they save space by occupying unused areas around the ceiling.
5. Security Grilles
Security grilles are see-through security barriers. They offer visual access and ventilation. Rolling grilles can be made from anodized aluminum, stainless steel or galvanized steel. They can be straight patterned, brick-patterned or glazed panel models. They’re available in different operational options, including push-ups, hand cranks, chains and motors.
The typical applications include:
- Shopping malls
- Reception venues
- Arcade openings
- Food service establishments
- Conventions centers
The benefits of using security grilles make it clear they’re worth it:
- Design flexibility: Security grilles are available in several design options and are built-to-order. You can install the unit at your warehouse according to your design, style and operational requirements.
- Added security: Rolling grilles offer protection for your business, preventing unauthorized access and forced entry.
- Aesthetics: The curtains are available in various designs, including brick, straight and pattern. Again, you can choose from multiple metal finishings, such as polished or brushed stainless steel, clear or painted aluminum, anodized aluminum and more.
Purchase a Commercial Roll-Up Door Today
There are several industrial roll-up door types. Each kind has distinct features regarding purpose, materials, functionality and benefits. Halo Overhead Doors offers high-quality, customizable commercial roll-up doors with a team of professionals to help you throughout the process. Contact us now for all your commercial garage door installation needs.